What exactly is "donor love"?
For some, it's just an attitude.
For others, it means doing fundraising you like on the mistaken assumption that donors are carbon copies of you.
If you're serious about fundraising, donor love is a series of actions and approaches to fundraising, as outlined by Agents of Good, at Donor Love: A Perfect Imperfection:
- Show donors that they are heroes.
- Share amazing and inspiring stories.
- Connect to donors' values and emotions.
- Make a donor fall, and stay, in love with their charity.
- Ask for one thing and only one thing.
- Find the right voice for your story.
- Say "thanks" with passion!
Yes! And I have a few more to add:
- Give them something to do -- have a specific call to action.
- Work to inspire, not to educate.
- Show them they make a difference.
- Design for their eyes and their taste.
- Have a plan for every donor.
But most of all, keep thinking about it, and keep trying. As with any area of discovery, some of your ideas won't really make a difference. Some might even be completely wrong.
But you'll do some amazing things if you keep working on it.