Your relationship with donors is almost completely based on how it feels to give to your organization.
It's up to you to do all you can to foster positive emotional experiences.
Smart commercial marketers understand this, because it applies to them also.
Here's some advanced thinking on creating emotional connections with customers, from Customer Experience Matters. It's a free ebook titled 25 Tips For Tapping Into Customer Emotions and it's downloadable here.
Here are some of those tips, the ones I think apply best to fundraising:
- Focus on evoking specific feelings.
- Incorporate emotions into customer journey maps.
- End on a high note.
- Make an enemy.
- Measure how well you evoke desired emotions.
- Feature real customers' stories.
- Articulate a clear set of organizational beliefs -- and stand by them.
- Develop a tone of voice based around your core values.
- Use stories to communicate corporate identity.
- Celebrate shared interests.
- Teach employees to be empathetic.
- Empower employees to surprise customers.
- Personalize communications with customers.
- Assign real-life emotions to customer personas.
- Build a community of like-minded customers.