Headlines are the most important things you write. That includes email subject lines and direct mail teasers. If your headlines are strong, more donors will pay attention to everything else you do.
That's why you'll want to pay attention to this post at MarketingExperiments Blog: See immediate lifts by applying these 5 principles to your headlines. Remember these things about headlines:
- Effective headlines focus first on what the customer gets
- Effective headlines align with the customer's current motivation
- Effective headlines make the strongest point first
- Effective headlines are clear, not clever
- Give your headlines weight (make them big enough to be visible)
Really, you should spend about as much time working on great headlines as you do on all the other copy you write. It's that important.