Errors and inaccuracies in your donor data are probably the most harmful mistakes you can suffer, doing massive, sometimes irreparable damage.
If you want to concentrate on one thing to get right, make it your data.
Here are some of the errors to avoid from Markets For Good, at The 7 Biggest Mistakes in Handling Donor Data:
- Assuming Data Entry/Gift Entry Needs No Guidelines
- Never or Seldom Running an NCOA Update (do it at least once a year)
- No Recording of Personal Donor Interactions (be sure to record phone, email, or face-to-face conversations with donors)
- Not Backing Up Your Data and TESTING Your Back-up
- Never Cleaning Up Your Data
- Not Taking Advantage of Data Append Services (there's useful information available out there; use it)
- Not Integrating Key Systems in Your Organization