Future Fundraising Now is for fundraising professionals who get it. I mean the ones who:
- Realize that fundraising is about donors, not us.
- Know that fundraising is both a number-driven science and a heart-driven art.
- Understand that fundraising is a noble and world-transforming activity, not just a necessary evil or sidekick to the real stuff.
- Think fundraising can be done a lot better than it often is done these days.
If any of those things resonate with you, this is a blog you'll enjoy. I hope you'll subscribe and stay in the conversation. Look over there to the right: That's where your subscription options are!
I post almost every work day, on topics ranging from donor demographics to creative tips for fundraising professionals. I believe there's a marketing revolution going on, with visionary marketers winning big by radically putting their customers first; it's high time for nonprofits to join that revolution. I also talk frequently about online fundraising, because we know so little about this important and growing channel.
This blog has been around since September, 2009. For four years before that, I wrote another blog with similar goals. I now realize that time was my training period for Future Fundraising Now.
Here are this blog's most popular posts of the last year:
- The 7 deadly sins of fundraising
- The most bone-headed fundraising meme of our time
- How to write better subject lines for fundraising emails
- What to say to board members who don't like your fundraising
- How to replace your donors with younger donors
Plus these popular series:
- Stupid nonprofit ads
- Uncle Maynard's Treasure Trove of Direct Mail Knowledge
- Fundraising Hell: Jeff's Inferno
I'm a creative director at TrueSense Marketing, the fast-moving, growing fundraising agency that champions listening to donors and giving them choice. When I'm not on the road, I work at our Seattle office. I've been serving the nonprofit community for more than 20 years, mostly from the agency side, and I'm honored to have worked with the best causes in the world.
If you're wondering about the photo, it's me being ceremonially accepted into the Toda tribe, a small group living in the hills of southern India. (I'm the pale one.)
In addition to writing Future Fundraising Now, I co-host (along with Steven Screen) a podcast called Fundraising Is Beautiful. I've writen three books about fundraising: The Fundraiser's Guide to Irresistible Communications (2012), The Money-Raising Nonprofit Brand (2014), and How to Turn Your Words Into Money (2015), and I'm a frequent speaker at fundraising industry events. If you like 140 characters, you can follow me on Twitter.